Embracing Change...



I landed in Bangkok two months ago today. It is hard to believe that I have been living here for two months. The time has flown by.  I have met some of the most amazing people, resulting in some incredible friendships that, without this trip, I likely never would have formed.  I have done some travelling, which was also on my list of things to do while living here. And most importantly, I started teaching.

When I said “goodbye” to family and friends at home, there were tears because I knew I was leaving behind everything I knew, those I love the most, and a life that I knew would be changed by the upcoming experiences. I have always struggled with change but somehow it felt the only way for me to really move forward, was to change everything; at least for a period of time. The tears were coming from what felt like a place of loss and grieving… from a young age I thought my life would look a certain way; that I would reach milestones at my designated timeframes. I met some, and others I have realized, there is no time frame, especially not the rigid ones I had set. Coming to Thailand, was in many ways me coming to a place of acceptance…that life is not easy, nor fair but we are tasked with making the best of the circumstances. So, I did some serious soul searching, chucked my rule book out the window, and for the first time (maybe in my life) I said “yes” to finding joy, seeking out adventure, and doing so in what felt like a completely unconventional way, but true to myself. And so, while the first six months of this year were the most painful I have ever experienced, I took all the conversations I had with Chom, I channeled a serious amount of the courage and bravery she displayed daily, and said “see you later!” to everything I knew and embraced a life change on every single level.

The first month in Thailand I spent completing a TESOL program so that I would be better qualified to teach English as a Second Language. That first month was spent in Hua Hin. Days were filled going to class, which I loved. Evenings in Hua Hin were spent completing homework assignments or group projects and then quickly dashing out to the Night Market or across the street to local food vendors for a bite to eat.

I have missed school these last ten or so years (hard to believe it’s been that long) and although it was only three weeks, it was fun to be back in the classroom. One of the questions I had before coming to Thailand, was “do I want to go back to school?” I still don’t have my answer to that. In some moments I think, yes, I would love to go back to school and try out another career. And in other moments, I think there is still so much I can do with my educational background without incurring the cost of student loans…so, that is all still to be determined. 

Although I enjoyed going to class (for the most part), my favorite times in Hua Hin were random adventures to the Night Market with friends to grab food, have a margarita, and a 30-minute foot massage (about $3-4!);

or weekends spent exploring the area (caves, waterfalls, and the beach to name a few). One thing I wanted out of this experience was to get out of my comfort zone…to say yes to adventures I might normally say no to, or have an excuse not to do, or frankly, am too much of a rules follower to say, “alright let’s do it!”  Coming to Thailand has already provided me with ample opportunity to practice this very thing.  Some friends and I laugh about some of our excursions and the conversation always goes something to the effect of, “glad I did it. Would recommend to a friend. But you won’t see me doing that again!” Or… “I’m so glad we did this, I would absolutely recommend to a friend, and I’d take them!” So, no matter the experience, I am so happy I have said “yes” to traversing caves and waterfalls, traveling on my own to meet up with people I’ve only just met, or riding on a motor bike with three adults, too much luggage, and praying for thirty minutes straight that I make it to the airport in one piece, and on time (don’t recommend it, but also so glad to have had that experience and made it out alive)!

For sanity’s sake, I have mentally broken down my adventure into chunks of time. Maybe this is weird (story of my life) but it has helped me to compartmentalize when needed. It helps me with perspective…nothing lasts forever, not the amazing moments and not the extraordinarily painful ones. This practice has helped me to stay present in each moment (or at least try) so that when I am having a wonderful time, I am soaking it up, just “being” in that moment. And in the tough moments, I have perspective that this feeling won’t last forever, and it becomes a reminder to breath and look for the lesson, because there is always a lesson to be learned.

Once I made the decision to come to Thailand, I made it a habit to talk about it frequently to those closest to me. It helped me build up momentum and courage to take this leap. People would frequently ask, “are you counting down the days until you leave?” My answer, yes and no. But more frequently “no.” Because what I am learning is the adventure is the journey.  I knew I would be leaving an amazing team at my clinic, I knew I was closing one chapter on living in Down Town San Diego, walking distance to some of my closest friends, and countless memories. When Chom died, it was as if everything in life began to feel fleeting…that I had already wasted so much time being too afraid to do something or too anxious to make a necessary change. Once I made the commitment to come here, I quickly began to feel like I needed to live every, single, moment. Because when else will I get rid of all my things, quit a job not having another one lined up, move back in with my parents (beyond grateful for their support, for my family’s support), and then move half way around the world? The likelihood, is never.  Well, except for moving back to the States…but the game plan is hopefully to have a job lined up upon arrival, so May 2018, if you’re hiring?!!

The next chapter was Hua Hin. Which was incredible. I met some amazing friends, that have since become the best travel companions a girl could ask for. So, saying “goodbye” to them in Hua Hin was much harder than I anticipated. Before I came here, I naively thought leaving my first Thailand home would be easy. I told myself, “Oh I’ll have only known them a month, I’ll be ready to go off and start teaching.” Wrong. On so many levels. The time in Hua Hin was such a period of healing for me.  It was a period of meeting new people and hearing their stories, sharing my own; all of us being vulnerable enough, honest enough to share our fears and insecurities about this massive change we had just made.  Saying goodbye to them was anything but easy. Compounding that, was knowing I was heading off to a part of Thailand I had never heard of, to live on my own, and to start a new career (however brief or lengthy it may end up being).

But, more on that next time.

Lots of love always,
Elizabeth

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day to Day Life: Making Thailand Home

Happy Holidays!